In 1946, Concord's W.M. Waterfield convinced community leaders that the city could benefit by the establishment of a Boys Club. Over the next year, the Concord Community Boys Club was incorporated and leaders set up its first programs in the Concord Armory on Church Street until a new facility could be built. By December 1949, thanks to a large group of community leaders and a successful fundraising campaign for $198,500, a new Boys Club facility was opened on Spring Street for 700 members.
Over 75 years later in 2002, a new 48,000 square foot facility was constructed on the same property. This new facility, allowing us to serve nearly 2,000 boys & girls each year, was made possible through the generosity of the community and a fundraising campaign for $6 million.
During strategic planning sessions in 2014, since Afterschool and Summer Programs had been at capacity and the demand continued to increase, discussions focused on the need to accommodate more youth and a dedication to not turning kids away. Based on the needs identified, the Board of Directors determined a course of action that included expanding the current facility.
Once again, with the help of the community and a $7.5 million fundraising campaign, the Club expanded it's footprint to 77,000 square feet, making the Boys & Girls Club of Cabarrus County the largest single-unit Club in the Southeast.